The President of the Dominican Civil Aviation Board (JAC for its Spanish Acronym), José Marte Piantini, has proudly informed that during the last two years the Dominican Republic has established 62 international routes, more than pre-pandemic times.
As reported by the Dominican news outlet El Día, from January 2021 until today, 452 airlines have operated in the country. A considerable increase compared to 2019, before the pandemic when 216 airlines served routes in the Dominican Republic.
Marte Piantini also explained that 56 airlines used to offer regular flights in the Dominican Republic back in 2019 while this year 2022 that number has increased to 62.
“The successful result of the air transport policy of the Dominican Republic has made it possible to improve the management and quality of services, achieving a 92% increase in charter flights”, stated the president of JAC.
Marte Piantini also highlighted the most recent destinations to Piarco (Trinidad and Tobago), Katowice (Poland), Istanbul (Turkey), Lisbon and Porto (Portugal), Cagliari-Elmas (Italy), Pointe a Pitre (Guadeloupe), Fort de France (Martinique), Saint Croix and Saint John (Virgin Islands), Nassau (Bahamas), Cayenne (Guayana), Kazan (Russia), among other destinations.
The Dominican Republic has also recently reported a record number of international visitors, over 730,000 travelers came to the country in July. The increasing international flight connections explain and can be related to the tourism records registered in 2022 and the travel rebound observed.
More International Connections
The president of JAC also shared relevant information regarding international airlines interested in creating new routes connecting other countries to the Dominican Republic. Marte Piantini has mentioned the new alliances and routes starting in November this year.
- Condor: The German airline will serve the route connecting Düsseldorf to La Romana. It will be a seasonal service, from November 4 until April 7, 2023.
- Neos: The Italian airline headquartered in Lombardo will have the routes connecting Verona to La Romana and Roma to La Romana and Montego Bay to Verona. Neos will provide 21 services connecting to Rome and 14 to Verona, a total of 35 services from November 4 to March 25, 2023.
- Swoop: The Canadian low-cost carrier will serve the route connecting Hamilton to Punta Cana. Swoop will begin serving this route—with weekly services— on January 11 until April 26, 2023.
- Frontier: The American low-cost airline will connect Tampa to Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. This service will begin on November 5 on Airbus A320 Neo with a capacity of 186 passengers.
- Air Century: The Dominican carrier will connect Santo Domingo to Guatemala, Costa Rica, Tampa (United States), Havana (Cuba), Santiago (Cuba), Miami, and Punta Cana to Miami.
These new routes and services will allow Dominican and International travelers to explore new destinations and have connectivity options to this fascinating country.
Connections To The United States
According to data gathered by the platform FlightConnections, at the moment, there are 43 direct flights connecting the United States to the Dominican Republic.
With the new services that Frontier will offer, American travelers will have even more flight options, especially from main cities with multiple services like Miami, Fort Lauderdale, New York, Boston, and Charlotte.
US travelers’ favorite destinations in the Dominican Republic are Punta Cana, Sosua, Bayahibe, Samana, and Cabarete. In Punta Cana Americans find spectacular beaches like Bavaro Beach, Cortecito Beach, and Arena Gorda beach, and they also have a great variety of activities and adventure sports available. The beach Sosua in the province Puerto Plata has spectacular all-inclusive resorts —as Samana where the all-inclusive resort Bahia Principe Gran Cayacoa will soon reopen its doors— and offers travelers a fantastic night-life in the beach town and also fascinating snorkeling experiences.
The Dominican Republic offers visitors beautiful beaches and a great vacation experience. It is not surprising that many US travelers fall in love with this country which has become one of the top countries where Americans want to buy a vacation home.
Plan Your Next Dominican Republic Vacation:
Choose From Thousands of Hotels In the Dominican Republic with Free Cancellation On Most Properties
Book Affordable Direct Flights To The Dominican Republic
↓ Join the community ↓
Subscribe to our Latest Posts
Enter your email address to subscribe to Dominican Republic Sun’s latest breaking news affecting travelers, straight to your inbox.